Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sunday Racing and Studying



Sunday I raced at McLaren Park. The first race of the season, at least for me, is always interesting. You never really know what to expect. The course was really a mountain course. Lots of climbing and a lot of single track, and some bogged down wet grass (my favorite!!). I actually did pretty well for myself, considering how little I have been on my bike and how much climbing there was. I was proud of myself. I kicked my ass into gear and just went for it!

That is kind of how I feel my life has been lately! Having to just say I am going to something, and just doing it. At the end of last month, I was on the phone with my dad one night. He was asking me if I had started applications, my GRE studying, finishing my writing sample, etc. And all of a sudden I just started crying. I wasn't crying because my dad was hounding me, but because it finally the moment for me where I realized I was at a crossroads. I know it sounds banal, but I felt as though there was a fork in the road. One way, I would end up ten years older at a job a hated and not doing what I love, regretting that I never even tried. The other way, well at least I attempted to accomplish what I wanted to do. I hung up with my dad that night, still lachrymose, but with a little more determination. That weekend I went to the bookstore. I spent $70 on some GRE study materials. When I went back home, I got on my computer and just chose two dates. October 29th and November 8th. I said on those two days I am taking my GRE. (My GRE General Subject test is the first date, and my English Subject Test is the second date). I just kicked my ass into gear and said it's now or never.

Since then I have been steadily preparing for my GRE. I have my flashcards for verbal everywhere I go. Learning new words is a lot of work. And apparently my vocabulary sucks!! I am studying my math. Do you know how long it has been since I have done math? I mean multiplying exponents, dealing with fractions, long division math? I can tell you how much that $250 blazer will be if it is 35% off, but as far as figuring out if 5/3 = x/2, I am screwed. But it is coming along. With a week and a day to go, I am nervous, but hopeful. Because I guess that is the best that you really can be, is hopeful!

I have started my applications, which will come into full swing after the GREs. But for now I have to focus on them. And my Halloween Cross outfit, of course. Luckily, I think I am almost complete. And I pick up my bike from the shop tomorrow or Thursday, and then it's off to Surf City for the weekend.

No comments: